Well our move it finally well over. We still have a few more things we need to pick up for the new apartment, mainly bookcases and bins to put all the junk we have. How in the world we managed to store all this stuff in my tiny 1-bedroom for two years is beyond me. We have literally three times the amount of space of my old apartment, but nowhere to put anything. I guess we were so used to just stuffing things in boxes in the upper part of my closet to really notice how much stuff we have.

This weekend the NTT guys come to see if we can install fiber optic or not. I can't wait for Saturday to come. I just home the day they want to come and actually install it, myself or my husband will be home. I have a majorly busy schedule next month, so who knows.



I would review a Japanese site today, but am still looking for a good next page to review. I need to start a running list of all the sites out there so I can keep better track. Big sites I'd like to review are definitely JapanesePod101 and About.com's Japanese pages, but I want to get my feet wet with more smaller sites first.



In other words, expect a review sometime next week. Most likely sometime on Tuesday. I'm going to spend the rest of my "blogging hour" searching for a list of websites to review.


I will leave you with one promotional thing. If you are serious about studying Japanese, and are in the market for a good kanji dictionary, I completely and totally suggest The Kanji Dictionary. It's a $70 dictionary that is unique in that you can search for a kanji combination (i.e. kanji that comprises of two or more kanji) by ANY kanji in the word. Most make you search by only the first kanji, but if you're not sure on the radical can be difficult. My friends got me this for my 17th birthday and I have now taken it to Japan three times and used it constantly in my college studies. It also has many useful appendices in the back, such as a conversion chart for Japanese calendar years, diagrams of Japanese school and political systems, and many maps of the country.
For those not willing to plunk down $70 on a dictionary, they make a smaller Learner's Dictionary version, usually for $25. My university's Japanese department had several of these for student use. While they don't have as much as the $70 version (they lack a lot of older, rarely-seen kanji), they are still just as useful and as easy to use.

I still prefer to use my big, fat, heavy, can-bash-someone's-head-in $70 dictionary to look up kanji combinations than my designed-for-Japanese-people electronic dictionary. So much easier to use, in my opinion. I wouldn't trade this dictionary in for the world. My first year here in Gifu I thought I lost it, and it heartbroke me, until I went home and found it in a box of stuff I moved out of my old room at college when I graduated. It promptly went back into my suitcase back to Japan.



As I think of more books and dictionaries that I think are useful in studying Japanese, I'll be sure to post links. If I had access to more Japanese textbooks other than the one I used in college and the one I use to teach my husband, I'd also do textbook reviews.

Comments (0)