Since my boss requested it, and I'm stuck at the office for the afternoon, you guys (though there's probably just one of you reading this, and I bet it's you Mami-chan) get to hear what we do besides going to class here at Hop Step Jump. Learn-Japan will have to wait until another day.

Also, if you haven't noticed, there's a big link to Hop Step Jump's website up at the top. Take a good look at the English recruitment page and see if you can spot the Engrish!



Back on topic, besides running Gifu and the surrounding areas, schlepping English materials from one side of the city to the other and back again in the course of a few hours (company cars are a lifesaver), Hop Step Jump teachers have other responsibilities that are so much more fun.

Many of the kindergartens we go to, along with two elementary school, have "International Relations" events where several of our teachers from various countries show up and talk about their home countries. These are probably my favorite part of working here.
At the kindergartens we get treated to a Q&A time where kids ages 3-5 ask us what fruit we like 5 times in a row (yes, it's happened). Sometimes we introduce our countries a bit, and show them the flag or map. Sometimes we just introduce ourselves. Changes with each school. Afterwards we're sent off to join a class where we often read a picture book in English, then join the students for an activity. Being the origami lover that I am, I usually get paired up with that class if I have a choice. If they have classes assigned before we get there, I get stuck with the little kids (2 year olds or 3 year olds) because I specialize in our Mommy and Me classes I talked about yesterday.
While these kinds of events are usually only once or twice a year, we do have one kindergarten that invites us for an "International Day" once a month. Usually only 3 teachers get to go, but sometimes we do really interesting cultural activities with the kids. In November we painted koinobori with the classes. Each age level had a different size and color they had to paint. The kindergarten even brought in a "master" koinobori maker and his assistants to help out.


With the same kindergarten we also accompany the kids on their yearly picnic field trip in March, to watch them sing songs and play games with their parents, and chase them around the park. Many kids are surprised when we foreigners show up and run around on the grass barefoot. Most would never think of taking their shoes and socks off at a park, which is sad because that's what being a kid outside is all about.

Every winter we also go to several of our kindergartens to participate in mochitsuki. These are awesome as we get to eat A LOT of mochi and kinako, possibly two of my most favorite foods. Most kindergartens use traditional wooden bowls and mallets, though some also use newer metal or stone bowls.



There are also two elementary schools that we go have an "International Day" at with their 6th graders. These are basically just Q&A sessions with a group of kids, who then have to report back to the WHOLE 6th grade class what they learned about their foreigner. These are relatively fun because you get some strange questions besides the usual "What music is popular?" "What do you do for Christmas?" "What do you have in your home country that you wish Japan had?" I've had kids ask me what my house was made of, why we don't take our shoes off at the door, if we have rice in the US, if there's fish in the US, and if everyone carries a gun with them at all times. Though I always say that the one thing I miss is 24-hour ATMs. Oh, man do I want a 24-ATM that doesn't charge out the butt after 6pm.



In addition to these types of events, we also encourage students to set up student-run events. Many of our English students end up going to Australia, New Zealand or Canada on working holidays, and a classmate will usually set up a good-bye party for them. We've also had student-run potluck Christmas parties, barbecues, snowboarding trips, hanami, and a trip to fish for squid. The good-bye party for the French teacher that left for Senegal was also partially set up by a student. Many of our students also meet up on Friday nights for "free" salsa lessons at a local Latin bar. We teachers are also encouraged to join in and become friends with our students. Actually, almost all of my friends here in Gifu are students or former students. I really have no life outside of work.


In order for the various teachers to meet up and talk to each other, the office puts on a potluck New Year's party in mid-January. All non-Japanese teachers are invited to bring a homemade dish from their country to share with the rest of the teachers. My first year I had food from Korea, the Cote d'Ivoire, Senegal, Malaysia, China, Korea, Czech Republic, Taiwan, and probably 5-10 other countries as well. I can't wait to try what everyone makes this year. I'm planning on making some of my grandmother's chocolate Church Windows and Rum Balls.


I think I've finally run out of things to say about Hop Step Jump. Maybe now I can go home. I have to start packing for my big move soon. My husband and I are finally moving out of our tiny 1K (one room + kitchen hallway) apartment and into a 3DK (3 rooms + dining/kitchen area). We won't move until February, but we have so much stuff we have to start getting ready now.
Luckily I kept all of the boxes my mom sent care packages in!

Comments (0)